Sunday 1 May 2011

Tour Durban Road Race

Tour Durban road race took place today.
I was given the opportunity to race for the Marty's cycles Top Club, which was really great as it gave me the chance to race in the Pro/Elite bunch.

The race started at 6:15 at the Moses Mabida stadium and headed out through town, along umbilo road and then up the M7. The M7 is where it got really tough as the Top Teams tried to break the bunch and split things up, they succeeded in this as we shed quite a few riders off near the top as we crested the climb into Pinetown. Then it was down the M19, this got a bit hectic as we hit about 86km down the hill which i'm not that used to being a mountain biker. I managed to hang in and made the bottom of the climb with the bunch.
It was then on to the M4 where the pace picked up as the attacks went one after the other, we hit the turn around point and everyone sat up as the riders collected drinks from the team cars. Once all was settled things got hot again and the teams started to set themselves up for what was surely going to come down to a bunch sprint. We turned into the stadium for the finish and the sprint went, not being anything of a sprinter i managed 16th and 2nd Sub Vet...
Really happy with my result in a National Road Race, especially being a mountain biker.

Well the legs are now super tired after the weekend's racing, but lucky for me tomorrow is my anniversary and myself and my wife have got a really nice relaxing day planned!

Next week i'm back to more serious training...

No comments:

Post a Comment